What’s the worst you have ever been physically hurt? What happened?
How did you get over it?
Help for the hurting
Romans 12:9 – Love must be sincere.
Romans 12:15 – Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
What do you think it means to “mourn with those who mourn?”
When people are hurting emotionally do you tend to avoid talking about it or try to get them to talk about it?
Has someone ever helped you when you were hurting? What did they do?
Galatians 6:2 – Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Why is it important that we try to help people that are hurting?
How to help
1.) Be there.
How can you practically be there for someone that is hurting?
2.) Pray with and Pray for
- How comfortable to you feel about asking a friend if you can pray with them?
- How can we get over the fear of praying with someone?
- When a friend is struggling, how can you remember to pray for them regularly?
3.) Help them see.
Help them see truth.
- Have you noticed that hurting people often get focused on the wrong things?
- How can helping them see truth help?
Help them see Scripture.
- How can we use the Bible to help someone that is hurting?
Help them see hope.
- Often when we are hearting we lose hope. How can we help someone get hope again?
4.) Share what Jesus has done for you.
How can sharing your story help someone?
If you are currently hurting in some way, share with your group and take some time to strengthen each other.