Have you ever had a goal that was really hard to achieve? What was it? What did you do?
What do you think causes us to push through pain in a sport or a competition?
PJ said it’s a problem that many Christians think that following Jesus means that life will be easy.
- Why do many Christians think that following Jesus is going to be easy?
- Why is this a problem?
Many people get confused between something being easy and something being good. What’s the difference? Why is it important?
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. – Matthew 16:24-25
- According to Jesus what does a disciple do?
- What does it mean to deny yourself?
- How does losing your life cause you to find it?
In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, – 2 Timothy 3:12
- What is a “godly life?”
- Why would people persecute you for wanting to live that way?
- Have you ever felt persecuted for your faith? What happened?
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus…who for the joy set before him endured the cross – Hebrews 12:2
- What did Jesus do to endure the cross?
- How can we do the same when we endure hardship for Christ?
Make it personal
Are there any changes you are trying to make in your life for Christ that are difficult?
What can you do if you feel pressure to hide your faith from others?