When you hear the word “freedom,” what comes to mind?
When you hear the word “rest,” what comes to mind?
How do you think the two are related?
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. -Matthew 11:28-30
Learning from Jesus and obeying his commands can seem like a burden. Have you felt like the commands of Scripture are a burden?
Would you agree with Jesus that His burden is light?
Does it sometimes seem like it is not light?
How do you think most people define the word freedom as it relates to their personal lives and decisions?
Freedom is living in the truth that comes from Jesus, but freedumb is living however we want expecting no consequences.
- How do you see the difference between freedom and freedumb?
- Can you think of a time when you were living in freedumb and it caused some negative stuff in your life?
- We often go through a difficult time because of something we did or a decision we made. Share about a time when you made a decision that led to a lot of stress.
- If you would have taken Jesus’s yoke and learned from him how would that situation have been different?
Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” -John 8:31
How is it that the truth can set you free?
Make it Personal
- Is there something God told me to do that I am not doing?
- Is there something I regularly do that I know God has said not to do?